The Brentwood Public Library first opened its
doors to the public in 1937 in the cloakroom of the old firehouse located on
First Avenue. During the next twenty-four years, the library was housed in a
building on First Avenue ( then the Annex of the Brentwood Public Schools'
Administration Building) and eventually moved to a small building on the
southwest corner of Third Avenue and Fourth Street.
The library was relocated to a new building in 1961 on the corner of Second Avenue and Fourth Street. During the next twenty years, this building was enlarged numerous times. In 1986, the residents of Brentwood approved the construction of a new library building to be located on the same site.
Today's library, dedicated on April 1, 1990, provides the entire community with a modern facility, handicapped accessible, equipped to meet current and future informational and, cultural and recreational needs and was renovated with a grand opening on October 18th, 2008.