By Librarian Nicholas Saturno
Freegal is a downloadable music service from your library. For Brentwood residents, all you need is your library card number. Freegal offers access to about 3 million songs, including Sony Music’s catalog of legendary artists. In total, the collection is comprised of music from over 10,000 labels with music that originates in over 60 countries. There is no software to download, and there are no digital rights management (DRM) restrictions. Access to Freegal is limited to patrons of subscribing libraries.
Follow link https://brentwoodny.freegalmusic.com/home to access your free music.
Select login button in upper right hand corner.
Enter library card number and select log in.
You are now logged in and have access to free music.
You can select browse and see what is trending, new arrivals, genres, playlists, artists, music videos, or audiobooks.
For this example, in the advanced search bar at top, I searched for artist Adele.
I selected the song Skyfall (from James Bond Movie). You can play right on your computer before downloading to see if you like the song.
If you like the song, you can add to an existing playlist, or create a new playlist, or just select the download arrow to right to download onto your local computer, iPad, or phone.
To create a playlist, hover over menu lines +, and select create playlist.
Type in a name and description and select create new playlist.
Once you select the download arrow to right, in the bottom left hand corner of your browser window, you will see the song being downloaded.
Select up arrow and click on show in folder to see your song in your download folder.
You can keep your downloaded songs here, or move them to wherever you want on your local computer or device.
You can select My Music icon on left hand side of window, and see your songs that you have downloaded.
If you want to see the playlist you just created, select playlist from the menu bar. You can now play all the songs you have added to your playlist.
Follow steps below to download songs to a Smartphone or Tablet.
1. Download and install the Freegal Music App from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
2. Open the Freegal Music App. The first time you open it you’ll need to log in.
3. Enter zip code in the search box to find Brentwood Public Library. Then enter your library card number.
4. Search for music by using the search button in the upper right hand corner or tapping on the Browse button at the bottom.
5. To download a song, tap on the arrow to the right of the song.
6. To listen to songs that you’ve downloaded tap on more and then My Music.